Thursday, July 15, 2010

Things that Last aka A Culture that Moves Beyond the Economics of Forced Obsolescence


Blog Thoughts
July 14 & 15th, 2010

Dancing Rabbit, Seventh and Eighth Day

I thought, maybe I should have put on shoes, as I walked to the fellow who I assumed must be my host: Cob, aka David.  Then I noticed that he, and the group he was eating dinner with were all barefoot as well.  This was a good start to a busy few days. 
            Since arrival everyone here has been remarkably open.  I’ve benefitted especially from the other visitors (around seven) and wexer’s (work-exchangers; around 13 ?), because, they can fill me in on life here as non-permanent rabbit.  In addition, since the visitors pay a modest room & board fee to stay here, I benefit from the various information sessions that are held for them.
In the thirteen years since Dancing Rabbit started, their meetings have evolved to function rather smoothly (although apparently the recent ones are much smoother than usual).  Visitors and wexer’s are welcome to “participate as observers” at the meetings.  Since arriving on Wednesday night, I’ve been to a Planning Talk, a Healthcare Meeting, a Business Meeting, a fantastic Q&A session for the visitors, worked on a few different projects in besides my hosts’ project, and visited the local Flea Market, the “Dog and Gun” in Rutledge, Mo.  The records are also publically available in the Library, in the Common House, from where I am writing this. 
            During my college years traveling, I remember thinking that In THIS place or country, I will feel at home.  I won’t feel like an alien.  It took a good amount of stamps in my passport before I discovered the error in that line of thinking. 
            However, having made the ‘eco-tour’ a part of my life for the last two to four years, I can say that Dancing Rabbit feels much like the planet I would be from.   Not the “church” necessarily, but at least the culture.  


Inspirational neighbors to DR
http://www.sandhillfarm.org/vision.php
We envision Sandhill Farm as a stable, progressive, fluid and vibrant community thriving in abundance.
We prioritize building and maintaining the health of our members, systems and facilities.
We hope to integrate more alternative energy, natural building, empowered health care and self sufficiency in our lives.
Sandhill Farm, in cooperation with our friends and neighbors, will continue to expand and network a culture of sustainable living in northeastern Missouri.

http://www.suesupriano.com/article.php?id=145

No comments:

Post a Comment